Frequently Asked Questions...
- How long does it take to get my order?
- Why should I care about water quality when brewing coffee?
- What is Third Wave Water?
- What is in Third Wave Water?
- What kind of water should I add Third Wave Water minerals to?
- How do I store Third Wave Water after it is mixed?
- How long does Third Wave Water last after is has been mixed? Is there a shelf life?
- What is the Shelf life for the mineral packs?
- What is the difference between the three water profiles?
- Can I use the classic profile to brew cold brew coffee?
- Do you sell packets in liters?
- How do I use the 5-gallon packs?
- Do you have a water profile to use with tea?
- Can I use Third Wave Water with my Keurig or Nespresso machine? Do I need to remove the filter first?
- Do you sponsor coffee events?
- What is Third Wave Coffee?
- Do you have a coffee shop system yet?
- What is your Return Policy?
- How do I sign up for Wholesale so I can sell Third Wave Water products?
1. How long does it take to get my order?
Typically all orders delivered in the United States (US) take about 2-3 business days to arrive to your doorstep. International orders can vary from 5-10 business days.
2. Why should I care about water quality when brewing coffee?
Water quality is the key to great coffee, ask any of your favorite coffee shops if water is important to brewing their coffee. The Specialty Coffee Association (SCA) created a water standard to help guide the specialty coffee industry. This was a pivotal guide to Third Wave Water's initial requirements as they comply with SCA water standards (Classic Profile & Espresso Profile). Here are a few key reasons why water quality is important:
Flavor – Water can flatten the taste of your coffee. If your water does not have the correct amount of buffer or kH (alkalinity) it can be overwhelmed with acidity or have a massive lost in flavor due to no allowing enough acidity. Coffee is naturally acidic trying to change the water and water buffers can inhibit this exchange of flavor, or even the perception of some flavors on your tongue.
Extraction – Coffee requires certain minerals present to properly extract, pulling the coffee flavors out of the bean and into your cup. Calcium is one of those important minerals necessary to extract the coffee oils into the water; all three water profiles contain calcium.
Protect your investment – If you purchased all of the right brewing gear and spend $10+/lb for coffee, why ruin the experience with bad water? Protect your investment and get the most out of your coffee by using the final tool, the right water, to brew your coffee.
3. What is Third Wave Water?
Minerals - Third Wave Water is a packet of all-natural minerals that when mixed with distilled water creates the optimum water to brew coffee.
4. What is in Third Wave Water?
Three Minerals for each profile - there are no chemicals used! See Answer (9. What is the difference between the three water profiles?) for a detailed list of each water profile’s exact ingredients.
5. What kind of water should I add Third Wave Water minerals to?
We recommend using either distilled water or water from a reverse osmosis (RO) system. Make sure to acquire water with 0-9 total dissolvable solids
(TDS). Distilled water can be found in the United States at the following locations:
- Grocery stores (For example: Kroger, HEB, Whole Foods, etc.)
- Convenience stores (For example: Rite Aid, Walgreens, etc.)
- Supermarkets (For example: Target, Walmart, etc.)
NOTE: The only countertop filter system we recommend using to acquire water to mix with your Third Wave Water mineral packet is Zero Water since it removes everything from the water.
6. How do I store Third Wave Water after it is mixed?
You can store your water jug at room temperature after mixing. This is actually recommended because your coffee maker will work harder (and take longer) to heat up cold water.
7. How long does Third Wave Water last after is has been mixed?
The product will not separate from solution (i.e. the water). Once the minerals are mixed with the water they will remain mixed.
8. What is the Shelf life for the mineral packs?
Shelf life is the same as any packet of sugar or salt. Do not store the mineral packs in extreme heat (temperatures over 150° F/65.5° C) or direct sunlight.
9. What is the difference between the three (3) water profiles?
Currently Third Wave Water creates three water profiles: Classic Profile, Espresso Profile and the Dark Roast Profile. Each profile comes in a variety of sizes (1 gallon, 5 gallon, 2 liter or 4 liter) and pack sizes (2-packets or 12-packets). Here are the details of each profile:
The Classic Profile - This water profile is recommended for traditional drip coffee brewers or any manual brewing method (e.g., aeropress, chemex, V60, etc.) providing brigher, cleaner flavors and higher acidity. It is SCA compliant and is our most popular water profile and you will understand why when you finally make the jump to try Third Wave Water for your coffee. Try it. You won't regret the decision! Ingredients:
- Magnesium Sulfate
- Calcium Citrate
- Sodium Chloride
The Espresso Profile - This water profile is specially engineered for your espresso machines avoiding the use of water boiler destroying chlorides. If you love your expensive and aesthetically pleasing espresso machine and want it to last longer than a couple of years using your current water, then use the Espresso Profile with your espresso machine today. It is SCA compliant and helps protect your machine's boiler while simultaneously providing fantastic shots of delicious espresso. Ingredients:
- Magnesium Sulfate
- Calcium Citrate
- Potassium Bicarbonate
The Dark Roast Profile - This water profile helps provide smoother flavors while preserving chocolate and nutty characteristics in your dark roasted coffees. Ingredients:
- Magnesium Sulfate
- Calcium Citrate
- Sodium Bicarbonate
10. Can I use the classic profile to brew cold brew coffee?
Yes!! We get this question a lot and are proud of our many partners using Third Wave Water to brew their cold brew: Verve Coffee, Bru Brothers, and many more!
11. Do you sell packets in liters?
Yes, but they are only available for purchase in your local overseas retail locations. We will provide more information as distribution is setup.
12. How do I use the 5-gallon packs?
The 5-gallon packs were created to be used with a 5-gallon carboy; this is probably the most common size of water jug in the United States. We recommend using a powered pump (flojet is our current favorite) to hook up your espresso machine so you don't have to manually fill your espresso machine in use.
13. Do you have a water profile to use with tea?
Yes, the Classic Profile works very similarly for tea! Tea blogs typically recommend 80 - 150 TDS (total dissolvable solids). Our formula is 150 TDS high in magnesium helping provide natural sweetness in the flavor profiles. Brew times will need to be adjusted when you change waters when brewing tea (or coffee).
14. Can I use Third Wave Water with my Keurig® or Nespresso machine®? Do I need to remove the carbon filter first?
Yes, you can use Third Wave Water with a Keurig or Nespresso machine. And you do not need to remove the filter. The carbon filter in these type of machines will not filter out our minerals because those types of filters do not remove minerals from the water. However, your filter is not needed because your water is now already optimum for brewing and will help protect your coffee maker. We recommend using the Classic Profile or your Keurig and the Espresso Profile for your Nespresso machine.
15. Do you sponsor coffee events?
Yes! We love helping coffee connoisseurs have the best experience possible! Please fill out THIS FORM to provide some basic information about the event and how you would like to share Third Wave Water with your participants.
16. What is Third Wave Coffee?
We get this question often. There are many aspects of what the coffee industry calls third wave coffee. It includes the ethics of sourcing coffee and the methods of trying to create the best coffee possible with all available resources and processes. It might sound a bit dull and dry, but when you experience the wizardry yourself, you won’t go back. Here are some fun methods to start with:
- Find fresh locally roasted craft coffee • 10-25 days old is preferred.
- Choose your brew method and experiment! • There are so many great brew methods available today, this is a great time to be a fan of coffee. Chemex, V60, Kalita Wave, Aeropress, American Press, French Press, etc. NOTE: paper filters remove oils and can add brightness to your coffee, so make sure you experiment!
- Grind your coffee • Use a burr grinder for a consistent grind and throw your paddle/blade grinder in the trash please.
- Heat up your water • Add a Third Wave Water capsules to a gallon of your distilled or RO water to create the perfect balance of minerals, enabling all of those delicate aromas and vivid acids to shine through. Temperatures vary with your brew method, but start by heating from 195 to 205 degrees F.
- Rinse your filter • If you chose a method that has a paper filter then this step will remove unwanted paper pulp still trapped in the paper filter, which adds a touch of bitterness. Toss the rinse water in the sink.
- Add your ground coffee • Zero out your scale before tossing the coffee into your brewer. Remember this number [in grams] because you are about to create some wonderful trickery. Take that number and multiply it by 16. This is a ratio of 16:1 and is now the magical number you need to remember when you measure the amount of water you brew with.
- Bloom your coffee • Zero out your scale before blooming. Poke your finger in the middle of the coffee to create a divot to help the water stay centered as you add just enough water to saturate the coffee…then STOP and wait ~60 seconds. Watch and breathe in the aroma as the bubbles unlock the first stage of flavor. CO2 is trapped inside the cell structure of the bean. Blooming removes the gases and prepares the coffee bed for even extraction.
- Finish brewing • Remember that number you multiplied times 16? Make sure that you STOP when the scale displays this number and prepare for a third wave coffee experience…at least the brewing step.
17. Do you have a coffee shop system yet?
Yes! Say hello to Tethys. Read more HERE.
18. What is your Return Policy?
Please refer to this link for the Return Policy.
20. How do I sign up for Wholesale so I can sell Third Wave Water products?
Read more about wholesale with Third Wave Water on our Wholesale sign up page here.